I setup Lync Server 2013 and did not have any issues while I was using Lync Client 2010. The problems started after I uninstalled Lync Client 2010 and installed Lync Client 2013, because it continuously asked for credentials after signing in.
Errors that I had with the Lync Client where the following:
- Credentials are required – Type your user name and password to connect for certificate services.
- Credentials are required – Type your user name and password to connect to the corporate address book.
- Credentials are required – Type your user name and password to connect for retrieving response groups.
- Credentials are required – Type your user name and password to connect for retrieving location information.
I spent some time searching and I was able to fix this issue. This is the summary of everything I had to do:
I think that the computer account that is necessary for kerberose authentication was corrupted, so I had to delete and recreate this account with different name.
These are the commands that I used:
I used the following to find the site identity and the account that was in use by Lync:
After I found the site identity, I ran the following command to remove the corrupted kerberose account from Lync Server 2013:
Remove-CsKerberosAccountAssignment –Identity “site:MyLyncSite”
Next, I created a new kerberose computer account:
New-CsKerberosAccount –UserAccount “MyDomain\LyncAuthen” –ContainerDN “CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=local”
After, I assigned this new computer account to the site:
New-CsKerberosAccountAssignment –UserAccount “MyDomain\LyncAuthen” –Identity “site:MyLyncSite”
I think you understand what it does:
Set-CsKerberosAccountPassword –UserAccount “MyDomain\LyncAuthen”
If there was only one server in topology, I would stop right here, but I had a few of them, so I had to synchronize a kerberos computer account password to on every additional server that I had:
Set-CsKerberosAccountPassword –FromComputer lync1.mydomain.local –ToComputer lync2.mydomain.local
That’s it. I waited for the servers to sync, restarted my computer (I did not have to do it, but just in case…..) and everything looked good.Follow @ikravchenko